The Veterans Service Commission was established for the purpose of assisting veterans and their dependents who have met with unexpected hardship as a result of sickness, injury, disease, or lack of employment.
Of primary importance to the Veterans Service Commission are the basic necessities of life, such as food, shelter, utilities, etc. It is the purpose of the Commission to assist veterans and their dependents temporarily until a permanent solution to their difficulties can be arranged.
Services Available for Veterans or Dependents of Veterans
- Emergency Financial Assistance
- Information and guidance in obtaining aid from various federal, state, and local organizations
- Referrals as required to other agencies for assistance as determined by counseling
- Assistance in making application for benefits administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs
- Assistance with dependent's applications for benefits upon the death of the veteran
- Transportation for eligible veterans to Veterans Administration Medical Centers.
Financial Assistance Eligibility
Applicants must have been a bona fide resident of Portage County for three months. The applicant or the veteran on whose service the application is based must have been honorably discharged with a minimum of 90 days active military service performed for purposes other than training, unless injured during training. Documents required are as follows: discharge records DD-214, proof of all income, current bills, proof of Portage County residency.
Veterans Administration Benefits
Documents required to apply for benefits may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Military discharge records
- Marriage records
- Divorce records and birth or adoption records for dependent children
- No residency requirements are specified for Veterans Service Office assistance with claims for benefits.
Contact E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Veterans Service Commission
|Sean Scahill||Member (OEF)|
|Louis Dearnbarger||Member (Vietnam)|
|David Morris||Member (Peace Time)|
|Ed Roloff||Member (Iraq)|
|Travis Campbell||Member (Persian Gulf)|