The Portage County Health District works with healthcare providers, other local health departments, and the Ohio Department of Health to minimize the impact of disease on the community’s health. Our staff members identify cases of reportable diseases then investigate them through patient interviews, specimen sampling, and collaborative work with healthcare providers.
Communicable Disease Reporting
Healthcare providers, laboratories, and the public help improve the community’s health when they report cases of disease to the health district. These reports give health officials a chance to find out where the disease came from and stop its spread before other people get sick. All information reported to the health district is confidential and will not be shared.
To report a disease to the Portage County Health District:
- Call 330-298-4490 or complete Northeast Ohio Communicable Disease Report form and fax to 330-298-4492.
- ABC's A Quick Guide to Reportable Infectious Diseases in Ohio
For After Hours and Weekends (Portage County Sheriff Office), call 330-296-5100. Class A diseases are reported to the Sheriff Office, as well.
Please include in your report as much of the following information as possible:
- Patient’s name
- Onset date (patient began feeling ill)
- Patient’s contact information (address, phone number)
- Laboratory results (if available) and name of laboratory
- Patient’s age and/or date of birth
- Name of the disease (if known) and/or symptoms
- Patient’s gender
- Name of patient’s healthcare provider
- Disease Information