Food Safety and Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
The following are resources available to industry members and consumers on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) and food safety.
For additional information, visit FDA's Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) main page.
FDA is sharing information about best practices and personal protective equipment (PPE) to operate retail food stores, restaurants, and associated pick-up and delivery services during the COVID-19 pandemic to safeguard workers and consumers. FDA addresses key considerations for how foods offered at retail can be safely handled and delivered to the public, as well as key best practices for employee health, cleaning and sanitizing. This is not a comprehensive list. We encourage consulting the references and links provided below by CDC, FDA, EPA, and OSHA for more detailed information. This will be updated as FDA receives further information and inquiries. Topics include:
- Do Not Enter If You Are Sick - Post in a Conspicuous Location
- Managing Employee Health (Including Contracted Workers)
- Personal Hygiene for Employees
- Managing Operations in a Food Service Establishment or Retail Food Store
- Managing Food Pick-Up
Information for Whole Food Nutrition and Summer Food Programs
Information for Farmers Market Managers
The content on the Ohio Department of Agriculture (ODA) for COVID-19 and Farmers Markets has been collected from farmers markets across the state and the country who are adapting operations to comply with public health official’s guidance and requirements. The content has not been approved by any single public health authority, but instead lists methods and tools being used by those actively managing and selling at farmers markets. As the landscape and recommendations change, this document will be updated and informed by public health guidance for grocery and farmers markets, as well as by those market managers implementing the guidance through operational changes.
- Ohio Department of Agriculture (ODA) Letter to Farmers Market Managers (04/17/2020)
- Ohio Farmers Market Network (OFMN) COVID-19 and Your Farmers Markets (04/18/2020)
Information for Businesses and Employees
- Best Practices for Retail Stores, Restaurants, and Food Pick-UP/Delivery Services During the COVID-19 Pandemic (04/23/2020) (Spanish) (Chinese)
- National Restaurant Association Reopening Guidance (04/22/2020)
- ODH Checklist for Safe Food Handling (04/13/2020)
Information For Consumers
- Shopping For Food During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Information for Consumers (04/23/2020)
- Slow the Spread at the Grocery Store KIDS EDITION (4/9/20)
- Slow the Spread at the Grocery Store (4/9/20)
Food And Drug Administration (FDA) Food Packaging Information