The Food Protection Program promotes healthy people and healthy communities through education and regulation of food service establishments. Portage County conducts inspections all the Food Service Operations (FSOs) and Retail Food Establishments (RFEs).
FSOs are usually restaurants and school cafeterias where the food is eaten on-site, while RFEs normally consist of convenience stores, carryout and delivery only restaurants and grocery stores.
We conduct inspections at every FSO and RFE in the county each year. Our staff also inspects mobile FSOs and RFEs that are selling food at festivals and other events around the county. This includes concession trailers and food trucks.
Additionally, we inspect vending machines that sell sandwiches and other foods that must be kept at the proper temperature in order to remain safe to eat. We inspect temporary food service operations which are commonly set up at a special event for a limited time.
Rules and Regulations
- Ohio Uniform Food Safety Code (Updated June 1, 2016)
- 2016 Ohio Uniform Food Safety Code Changes
- Ohio Administrative Code Chapter 3701-21 Food Service Operations
- Ohio Administrative Code Chapter 901:3-4 Retail Food Establishments
- Ohio Revised Code Chapter 3717: RETAIL FOOD ESTABLISHMENTS, FOOD SERVICE OPERATIONS
Food Safety Links and Documents
- Choking and First Aid Poster
- Employee Ill Health Policy Agreement
- Food Safety Training Handout
- Food Allergy Poster for Food Service Operations and Retail Food Establishments
- Food Safety Plan Review Application
- Food Service Operation - Power Outage - When in Doubt Throw it Out
- Hand Washing: Clean Hands Save Lives
- Ohio Department of Health Application for Reciprocity
- Ohio Department of Health Cleanup After a Flood
- Ohio Department of Health Fact Sheets
- Responding to a Vomiting/Diarrheal Incident
- Temporary Food Service Packet
- Time/Temperature Control for Saftey (TCS) Foods