Public vs. Private
A public swimming pool is any indoor or outdoor structure that is intended to be used collectively for swimming, diving, or bathing.
A private residential pool is one located at a private house with no more than three families and used exclusively by those residents or their guests (who are non-paying).
Recreational Water Illnesses
Recreational water illnesses (RWIs) are caused by germs and chemicals found in the water we swim in. They are spread by swallowing, breathing in mists or aerosols of, or having contact with contaminated water in swimming pools, hot tubs, water parks, water play areas, interactive fountains, lakes, rivers, or oceans. RWIs can also be caused by chemicals in the water or chemicals that turn into gas in the air and cause air quality problems at indoor aquatic facilities.
Knowing the basic facts about RWIs can make the difference between an enjoyable time at the pool, beach, or waterpark, and getting a rash, having diarrhea, or developing other, potentially serious illnesses.
For more information on recreational water illnesses, visit here
Rules and Regulations
Swimming Pool Links and Documents
Additional information from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention found below.
- Pool Program Newsletter May 2016
- Healthy Swimming
- Responding to a fecal incident (CDC Guidelines)
- Critical Operational Items for Pools - Items Subject to Required Pool Closure
- Cyanuric Acid (CYA) Bio-Active A New Product to Control Cyanuric Acid
- Adjusting Pool Chemicals - Adjusting Chemicals to Ideal Levels
- Automatic Chemical Controllers Fact Sheet
- Flow Meter Spacing Requirements
- ODH Equipment Replacement Form
- Cyanuric Acid - What happens when Cyanuric Acid in a pool is too high?
- Drain Covers Virginia Graeme Baker Pool Spa Safety Act
- Equipment Replacement Prior ODH Approval Fact Sheet
- Flow Meter Maintenance
- Recirculation Rates Fact Sheet for How To Determine the Cause of Low Water Flow
- Signage Spa Signage Sheet
- Synopsis of Rules for Pools, Spas, and Special Use Pools
- Salt Pools Fact Sheet for Pools Equipped With a Chlorine Generator From Salt
- Test Kits Fact Sheet for Swimming Pool Chemistry Test Kits
|2018 Resolution||60 KB|