Click here for information about WIOA Orientation Sessions.
Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act or WIOA was signed into law in July of 2014 replacing Workforce Investment Act of 1998 (WIA). WIOA is designed to strengthen and improve our nation’s public workforce system and help Americans, including youth and those with significant barriers, into high-quality jobs and careers. Additionally, it is designed to help employers hire and retain skilled workers.
WIOA is an employment first program and our primary goal is to get customers back into the workforce. If individuals are unsuccessful in utilizing Resource Room Services to meet their employment needs, then eligible participants can receive staff assisted services. The services vary based upon the needs of the customer as identified through the assessment process. There are two primary types of services—staff assisted services and training services.
Staff Assisted One-on-One Services
- Develop and Individualized Employment Plan—This will assist in getting you back to work or help upgrade your current employment.
- Assessments—Identification of your skill levels, service needs, interests and appropriate employment goals.
- Individual Counseling
- Career Planning
- Job Search Assistance
- Financial Literacy Services
- English Language Acquisition & Integrated Education
OhioMeansJobs Portage County is an employment first program that offers education assistance only if a customer is unable to obtain or upgrade employment with the current skills he or she possesses.
WIOA is not an entitlement program. A customer must be able to show they have made reasonable efforts toward employment and that raining is the appropriate service to meet the employment goal.
- Lead to employment in an in-demand industry
- Be 12 months or less
- Lead to an industry recognized certificate or license
We are not able to:
- Pay for a degreed program (Associates, Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate)
- Assist with training someone that is already enrolled in a program
- Pay for training in which someone is already credentialed
For more information on WIOA Adult and Dislocated Worker Services stop by our office for call 330-296-2841.