County Commissioners Logo

Graphic with US Flag with text "United We Stand"

Portage County Flag


Portage County Job & Family Services

W3C 4.01 Validated


Help Me Grow

JFS Home | Additional Resources and Links | Children Services

Help Me Grow is a child development program for new mothers and children from birth to age three who have a developmental delay. The delays can be in communication, speech and hearing, motor, physical, social or learning skills. The program seeks to support and educate families through service coordination, home visiting, developmental screening, parenting education, parent support, and linkage to community resources and services.

Developmental screening visits for children up to age three are also provided.

Bright Beginnings educational parent meetings are offered to families with children under three years old or who are expecting a baby. Bright Beginnings is an educational parent group with a featured speaker or parent discussion on a topic. There are also activities with the children. Lunch and babysitting are provided and those interested should call the Help Me Grow intake office at 330-298-4545.

Bureau for Children with Medical Handicaps
The bureau provides public health nurse service in-home visits and service coordination for medical care.  For additional information or questions concerning the Bureau for Children with Medical Handicaps, contact the Portage County Health Department at 330-296-9919 or


JFS Home | Additional Resources and Links | Children Services

Back to top of page