Portage County BCMH
Portage County Health Department: 330-296-9919 Ext. 134
Office Hours: 8:00 a.m.
to 4:30 p.m.
Monday through Friday
BCMH Forms |
BCMH Programs |
Bureau for Children with Medical Handicaps
A Portage County Health Department Program
The Bureau for Children with Medical
Handicaps through the Ohio Department of Health supports the
work for public health nurses on behalf of children with special
healthcare needs and their families. The nurse can be a valuable
resource for families who may be coordinating with many agencies
and providers of care for their child.
The Portage County Health Department has coordinated the BCMH
program since 2009. During that time, public health nurses
provided nearly 3,000 consultations and made 130 home visits. In
the first year, over 400 Portage County children were assisted
through the program.
BCMH Public Health Nurse:
- Assures that children with special health needs are
referred to appropriate doctors and services;
- Helps families find and use the services they need for
- Assists families when completing forms and paperwork;
- Visits the family and/or child in the home, school or
other place agreed on by the family;
- Assists the family in understanding their child’s
- Works with families to develop a plan involving child,
family and social service providers;
- Advocates for the child and family needs;
- Interacts with family to provide support, encouragement
Marianne Kitakas, R.N., B.S.N., BCMH
449 S. Meridian St., 3rd Floor, Portage
County Admin. Bldg.
Ravenna, Ohio 44266
Ph: 330-296-5900 Fax:
Back to top of page